- Silver Palate Cookbook
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) sweet butter
- 2 cups (475 ml) finely chopped yellow onions
- 12 large carrots, about 2 lbs (.9 kg)., peeled and chopped
- 4 cups (950 ml) chicken stock
- 1 cup (225 ml) fresh orange juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- grated fresh orange zest to taste
- Melt the butter in a pot.
- Add onions, cover, and cook over low heat until tender and lightly colored, about 25 minutes.
- Add carrots and stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until carrots are very tender, about 30 minutes.
- Pour the soup through a strainer and transfer the solids to the bowl of a food processor.
- Add 1 cup (225 ml) of the cooking stock and process until smooth.
- Return the puree to the pot and add the orange juice and additional stock, 2 to 3 cups (700 ml), until the soup is the desired consistency.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper; add orange zest.
- Simmer until heated through. Serve immediately.
- This is right out of the cookbook.