Southern Fried Chicken Gravy
- A thick, nearly white gravy made as a side dish with southern fried chicken.
- grease from fried chicken
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) flour
- 1 cup (225 ml) milk or 1/2 milk & 1/2 water
- salt, pepper
- After frying chicken, pour off all grease except about 1 tbsp (15 ml).
- Leave any crumbs in the pan also.
- Add flour and stir over medium-high heat until flour is medium brown.
- Add milk (or water/milk mixture) and cook until thick.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- I usually make my chicken gravy with half milk/half water. This results in
a gravy that's a little less white and with a little less "body."
***Like many cooks, I often don't measure ingredients so these are approximate. For thicker or thinner gravy, adjust liquid accordingly.