Tequila-Sunomono with Cucumbers & Octopus
- Twice marinated cucumbers served with brewed octopus.
- Jorge G Attolini
- 2 lbs (.9 kg) octopus
- 2 cucumbers
- 2 cups (475 ml) of tequila
- 1 cup (225 ml) of soy sauce
- 1 cup (225 ml) of orange juice
- 1 cup (225 ml) of dashi (fish soup stock can be found as instant mix at Asian markets; called Dashi-no-moto)
- 1-1/2 tbsp (20 ml) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) rice vinegar
- 1 package of dry fish (bonito) flakes
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) of soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) of pan frying sesame seeds
- Roll the cucumbers over salt and wash them with water.
- Cut one end, dig out the seeds and fill with tequila. Refrigerate overnight.
- Clean the octopus with salt in a pot, rubbing it until the octopus is clean and the water that leaves is black (3 min).
- Boil octopus in water with 2 tbsp (30 ml) salt for 20 minutes. Let cool.
- Mix alldashi in 1 cup (225 ml) of hot drinkable water
- and peel the cucumbers, discarding the tequila, cut the octopuss
- in little pieces and mix all together.
- This is a Mexican/Chinese hors d'ouvre style that I think you will enjoy very much.