Serves/Makes:10 servings (1 lb)
- 5 lbs (2.3 kg) Cake flour
- 5 oz (140 grm) Baking powder
- 12 oz (336 grm) Sugar
- 1/2 oz (14 grm) Salt
- 11 oz (308 grm) Shortening
- 8 oz (224 grm) Raisins (optional)
- 1-1/4 oz (35 grm) Caraway seeds (optional)
- 2-3/4 pints Milk
- Sift dry ingredients.
- Work in shortening gently.
- Add raisins and caraway seeds if desired.
- With paddle on low speed, blend in milk to make a shaggy mass.
- Knead 20 sec on floured surface.
- Divide into 1 lb (.5 kg). loaves.
- Dust top with flour,press a cross in top of each loaf with knife.
- Bake at 400-425 F for 30 min until browned and cooked through.