- Irish Soda Bread
- Cindy Crouch
Serves/Makes:2 round breads
- 4 cups (950 ml) flour
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) carraway seed
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) raisins optional
- 1 cup (225 ml) buttermilk
- 1/2 stick melted butter
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.) F.
- Combine dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a separate bowl combine wet ingredients and whisk well.
- Add wet to dry and mix well.
- Knead 2 to 3 min.
- Grease 2 round cake pans.
- Divide batter evenly into pans.
- Spread batter to fit the pans.
- Cut a cross in each.
- Bake 350 degrees (175 C.) for 45-60 min. A toothpick inserted in the centers should
- come out clean.
- This recipe came from the Helen Ernst Family of Fort Wayne, In. I have made
it many times and can say it is great. They are true Irish, as is the recipe. As this is a heavy bread I suggest you slice it thin. Enjoy.