Puerto Rican Rice and Beans
- Black beans with pork and rice
- Cathie MacDonald
- 2 3 lbs (1.4 kg) pork roast trimmed of fat
- 5 lbs (2.3 kg). dried black beans
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) grapeseed oil
- 6 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 onions, medium sized, diced
- chicken Stock
- 1-2/3 cups (400 ml) basmati Rice
- 6 cups (1425 ml) water
- 1 clove garlic
- Night before: Place black beans in a big pot or bowl, cover with water
- and allow to soak over night.
- After trimming pork of rind and fat, cut into bite size chunks. Do not
- discard bone.
- Put the oil into a large pot or Dutch Oven.
- Put pot on burner over medium heat. Add pork, bone, garlic and onion.
- Cook until meat is brown and aromatic.
- Drain beans and add to pot.
- Add enough chicken stock to fill pot, which should be about an inch over the beans.
- Turn heat to low, and simmer for approx. 4 hours, until beans are tender and liquid is thickened.
- Prepare rice.
- Put the rice and the garlic in the Rice Bowl portion of the rice steamer.
- Add 2 cups (475 ml) of water to the rice bowl, and 4 cups (950 ml) of water to the reservoir.
- Steam until done.
- Serve in pasta bowls, beans over rice, with grated Cheddar on top if desired.
- Delicioso, si?
- We had "frijoles con arroz" in Cuba. I assume its basically the same dish
in Puerto Rico. I can't make a small amount of this... it just doesn't