Italian Style Tripe in Tomato Sauce
- Angela Creighton
- 1 lb (.5 kg). tripe
- 1 tsp (5 ml). black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). oregano
- 1 15 oz (420 grm). can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp (5 ml). minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). parsley
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- pinch crushed red pepper
- Cut the tripe into 1/4" thick strips, using scissors.
- Wash well in salted water and then rinse.
- Put in pot and cover with water to which one tbsp salt has been added.
- Add the black pepper, bay leaf and oregano.
- Bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer one hour.
- Drain and discard bay leaf.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes.
- If you like your sauce thinner, add a little water.
- Serve with crusty Italian bread to sop up the juices.