Indian Jeera (Cumin Seed) Fried Rice
- Deliciously aromatic rice flavoured with cumin seeds and fresh coriander
- Rochelle Gonsalves
- 1 cup (225 ml) basmati rice (substitute with plain rice)
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) fresh coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
- 2 cups (475 ml) water
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml) chicken stock cube (optional)
- salt to taste
- Wash the basmati rice and soak it for 30 minutes, and then drain.
- Heat 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter in a pan, add cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds begin to crackle, add the drained rice, and gently stir for a few seconds.
- Then add salt and crumbled chicken stock cube, and mix gently.
- Add 2 cups (475 ml) water, bring to a boil over high heat, and then simmer until the rice is cooked.
- Lastly, add coriander leaves, and mix it in with a knife or a fork to prevent the rice grains from breaking.
- This rice is an excellent combination with any dal (lentil) preparation.