- w/ Coconut Filling and Icing
- Leo Vetrano
Serves/Makes:6 to 8 servings
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (225 ml) butter
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
- 2 cups (475 ml) ripe, chopped mango (I use jarred)
- Extra slices mango to cover top of cake
- 1 cup (225 ml) chopped walnuts (optional)
- 2 cups (475 ml) self-rising flour (all purpose is a no-no)
- 1 box coconut cream instant pudding (or substitute)
- 1 sixteen ounce container coconut/pecan frosting
- Butter and flour two 9-inch round pans (or one 9 x 13 in. pan).
- Beat sugar and butter until smooth.
- Add eggs, beating until thouroughly mixed then, add milk, salt, baking soda, and flour and mix until smooth.
- Next, add the chopped mangoes (and optional nuts) and stir to combine.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake for approx 50 min. or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out dry.
- Place cake on rack and cool thoroughly.
- Prepare coconut cream pudding as per instrucions on box and refrigerate.
- Place one layer of cake on waxed paper and cover evenly with pudding.
- Place second layer of cake atop pudding, making certain sides are even. Spread Coconut/Pecan Frosting around side and approx. 1/2 inch around edge of top.
- Place slices of Mango to cover top of cake. ENJOY!!!
- I found this cake recipe on-line and tried it with several
fillings and icings. The above was, by far, superior (in MHO).
It is a matter of taste so, play around with different flavors
like banana, mocha, etc.