- William Bohannon
- 1 pint vodka
- 1 oz (28 grm) almond extract
- 3 cups (700 ml) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). lemon juice
- In a saucepan over low heat combine the sugar, lemon and 1/4 cup (60 ml) water.
- Cook slowly to a dark brown caramel syrup.
- Cool till warm but not hard.
- Add 1 cup (225 ml) of water and liquify under low heat.
- Pour into a bowl.
- Add the vodka and almond extract when cooled slightly.
- Pour into clean bottle.
- Make up any volume with plain water or more vodka.
- Making caramel can be tricky. Try a little brown sugar mixed in for a really dark color. Premade Amaretto concentrates are available at winemaking and home brewing supply stores.