Old-Fashioned Rice Pudding
- Chuck and 1959 cookbook
- 1 quart (950 ml) milk
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) raw rice
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) thin cream
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees (125 C.).
- Place first 4 ingredients in double boiler, cover and heat over boiling water until milk scalds.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and nutmeg.
- Turn into a 6 cups (1425 ml) casserole, do not cover.
- Place on middle rack and bake 2 1/2 to 3 hours, stirring with a fork 3 times during the first hour, to keep rice from settling.
- After 1 1/2 hours, stir in the cream.
- Bake until rice is perfectly tender.
- Remove to wire rack to cool.
- Serve warm or cold.