- Creamy rice pudding
- Angela Creighton
- 1 quart (950 ml) (4 cups) milk
- not quite 1/2 cup (125 ml) rice
- 4 oz (112 grm). (1/4 cup (60 ml) plus 1/8 cup) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) cinnamon
- raisins (optional)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) vanilla
- Cook milk until it scalds (tiny bubbles around edge), stirring often, in a large pot.
- Add rice, sugar, cinnamon and raisins (if using).
- Cook for 30 minutes with lid halfway on pot, stirring frequently.
- Remove lid and cook additional 15 - 30 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Beat egg with vanilla.
- Temper the egg mixture by adding a little of rice mixture to egg and stir in.
- Add egg mixture to pot SLOWLY, stirring constantly. Mix well.
- Cook for a few more minutes.
- Let cool, then refrigerate.
- Mixture thickens considerably after it is chilled. You may want to add additional milk if it is too thick.
- NOTE: I have made this recipe using skim milk and egg substitute and it
is delicious. I have also used Equal instead of sugar and that also was