Ancient Egyptian Chocolate Cake
- Fit for a Pharoah
- Family recipe - Inga Francis
Serves/Makes:12 large pieces
- 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) gound cloves
- 4 oz (112 grm) semi-sweet baker's chocolate
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) brewed coffee - can be hot
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter
- 2 cups (475 ml) whipping cream
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) cinnamon
- Sift together the first 4 ingredients.
- Combine the coffee and chocolate over heat until chocolate is melted. Cool. Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating each on in.
- Beat in the vanilla and the chocolate mixture.
- Then add alternately the liquid and dry inredients, beating well in between.
- Pour batter into 2 well greased 8 inch cake pans.
- Bake in 350 degree (175 C.) F. oven for one half hour.
- Cool cakes for about 10-15 minutes in pans before removing.
- Frost and fill the cake with the cinnamon whipped cream.
- Keep refrigerated, or add a little gelatin to the whipping cream to hold firm.
- Whip Cream frosting:
- Chill mixing bowl and beaters.
- Whip the cream until stiff, add slowly the vanilla, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Do not overbeat!
- The coffee flavor gives body - but is not noticable. Even my 7 year old loves this case.