- Linda Engbarth Weissert (originally from Mr. Food)
Serves/Makes:20 or more
- 2 15 lbs (6.8 kg). or more fresh ham
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml) garlic powder
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) salt
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) black pepper
- 2 cups (475 ml) hickory wood chips, soaked in water and drained
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil; place the ham skin side up in the pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic powder, salt and pepper, mix well and then rub evenly over the ham.
- Bake for 4 hours, basting occasionally.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- If using a charcoal grill, place the wood chips on the hot charcoal.
- If using a gas grill, place the wood chips in a disposable aluminum pan directly on the heat surface (under the grill rack).
- Place the ham on the grill.
- Cover the grill and cook for 1 hour, or until browned and a meat thermometer inserted into the center registers 170 degrees (80 C.).
- Remove to a cutting board and slice.