Amish Friendship Ring Bread
- Consists of two parts, Brandied Fruit Starter and Bread
- Chuck- Have had recipe for many years.
- 1 cup (225 ml) butter
- 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) sugar
- 3 cups (700 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) each ground cloves and nutmeg
- 1 cup (225 ml) pecans
- 2 cups (475 ml) drained "Brandied Fruit Starter" (Recipe follows)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) starter fruit juice
- Combine butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat well.
- Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cloves and nutmeg.
- Add to butter mixture beating well.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Coarsely chop brandied fruit and stir into batter.
- Add pecans and juice, mixing well.
- Pour into a well greased and floured 10 inch Bundt pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) F for 1 hour.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired
- BRANDIED FRUIT STARTER
15 1/2 ounce can pineapple chunks, drained
16 ounce can sliced peaches, drained
17 ounce can apricot halves, drained
10 ounce jar marachino cherries, drained
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup brandy (apricot, peach or plain)
Combine in a bowl, stir and cover.
Let stand at room temperature for 3 weeks, stirring twice a week.
Always reserve 1 cup of starter to replenish, adding 1 cup sugar and 1 cup of each of the first 4 ingredients every 1 to 3 weeks.
Alternate fruit each time.
Stir, cover and allow to stand 3 days before using.