- William Bohannon
- 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) water
- 3-1/3 tbsp (50 ml) salt
- 2 egg yolks (optional)
- 8-1/3 cups (1975 ml) flour (2-1/4 lbs (1 kg) or 1 Kg)
- Dissolve salt and egg yolks in water.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and work liquid in by hand till soft as your ear lobe.
- Cover with wet cloth and rest for 3 hours if summer...8 hours if winter.
- Sprinkle with flour and roll out 1/8 inch thick.
- Fold over to make 3 equal folds like the letter "N".
- Slice off the noodles at 1/8 inch intervals.
- Boil in desired broth and vegetables.
- When I was taught to make Udon in Japan my instructor made balls of dough and steamed them for 15 min. Then he put them through the Udon machine "Japanese Pasta Roller". The texture was incredible...must have been his family secret. This above recipe comes from "Japanese Cooking A Simple Art" by Shizuo Tsuji.