- Lush and delicious
Serves/Makes:1 9 inch layer cake
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 oz (56 grm). red food coloring
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) cake flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vinegar
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) cocoa
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 cup (225 ml) buttermilk
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) soda
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Add eggs.
- Make a paste of cocoa and food coloring and add to the creamed mixture.
- Mix with salt and vanilla with the buttermilk.
- Add alternately with the flour to the creamed mixture.
- Mix soda and vinegar and fold into the mixture.
- Bake in two 9 inch pans for 30 minutes at 350 degrees (175 C.).
- This is another one of my mom's specialties. We had this on special occasions. She usually frosted it with a white fluffy frosting.