Semi-Sweet Bishop's Bread
- Filled with dates, nuts, chocolate chips,candied fruit and brandy
- Roxanne Kelly
Serves/Makes:1 -9x5 loaf
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml). vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml). salt
- 1 (6 oz (168 grm).) pkg. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup (225 ml) chopped dates
- 1 cup (225 ml) chopped nuts
- 1 cup (225 ml) whole candied cherries
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) mixed candied fruit
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). brandy
- Optional: confectioners' sugar frosting
- In a small bowl, beat eggs until thick and lemon colored (about 5 minutes).
- Gradually beat in sugar and vanilla.
- In large bowl, combine flour and salt.
- Add chocolate chips, dates, nuts, candied cherries and fruit; mix together.
- Fold in egg mixture.
- Spread in greased and floured 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
- Bake in a preheated 325 degree (175 C.) oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven, cool 10 minutes and invert.
- When cool, pierce top with 1 1/2-inch deep holes, using a toothpick.
- Slowly pour brandy over top.
- Wrap tightly in aluminum foil.
- Store at room temperature overnight.
- Drizzle with confectioners' sugar frosting, if desired.
- I found this one in my copy of "Taste/son of best of Taste" cookbook.