- uses 3oz. red food coloring
- Roxanne Kelly
Serves/Makes: 1 9-inch layer cake
- 3 oz (84 grm). red food coloring
- 4-1/2 tbsp (70 ml). cocoa
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) butter
- 2-1/4 cups (525 ml) sifted granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) buttermilk
- 3-1/4 cups (775 ml) sifted flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml). (scant) salt
- 1-1/2 tbsp (20 ml). soda
- 1-1/2 tbsp (20 ml). vanilla
- 1-1/2 tbsp (20 ml). vinegar
- Mix red coloring and cocoa together with fork and set aside.
- Cream butter, sugar and eggs.
- Combine cocoa and creamed mixture; beat.
- Add buttermilk alternately with flour, salt and soda.
- Fold in vanilla and vinegar.
- Pour batter into two 9-inch cake pans with bottoms greased and lined with waxed paper.
- Bake 35 minutes at 350 degrees (175 C.) F.