- Great for the Fourth of July
- C. Myers
Serves/Makes:2 Layer 8" cake
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) Sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Crisco
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) cake flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) Salt
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) Nestle Quick (Chocolate)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (225 ml) buttermilk
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 1 Oz (28 grm). bottle of red food coloring
- Disolve soda in vinegar before adding to mixture.
- Add red food coloring last.
- Combine all other ingredients in large mixing bowl.
- Use electric mixer to blend all ingredients, approx. 2 minutes.
- Lightly grease the bottoms only of two 8 inch round cake pans.
- Cut out 2 8 inch circles of wax paper and place in pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) F for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Be careful not to over bake, or it will be dry.
- Let pans cool wire racks before removing cake.
- Run a knife around the outside edge and then carefully turn pans upside
- down on wire racks and remove pans and wax paper let cakes set until
- completely cool before frosting.
- This is the frosting I like to use for Red Cake.
3 tbsp of flour
3/4 vup of milk (whole or 2%)
Cook over low heat stirring constantly in a small sauce pan until thick.
Must cool completely.
3/4 cup of sugar
3/4 cup of butter
1 tsp vanilla
Add flour and milk mixure and beat until of spreading consistency. Must
have a good electric mixer for this, or it will not turn out right.