Grandma Norris's Oatmeal Cake
- a hearty cake everyone will love
- 1 cube butter
- 1 cup (225 ml) Quick Oats
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) boiling water
- 1 cup (225 ml) brown Sugar
- 1 cup (225 ml) white Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/1 cup (225 ml) flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml) soda
- 2 tsp (10 ml) nutmeg
- 2 tsp (10 ml) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 1 cup (225 ml) brown sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) canned milk or cream
- 1/4 cube butter
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) coconut
- 1 cup (225 ml) chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Mix butter, oats & boiling water s and let stand 20 minutes; then add sugars & egg. Set aside.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add to wet mixture, add vanilla.
- Beat for 2 min on medium speed.
- Pour into greased & floured 9x13 inch pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Mix ingredients listed for the topping & spread on the hot cake then broil until crisp (be sure to keep your eye on it).
- This recipe has been handed down for several generations & is a family favorite.