- Angela Creighton
- 1 cup (225 ml) vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg) large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) buttermilk baking mix
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) beer, or more if necessary
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1 egg
- 2 cups (475 ml) shredded coconut
- 1 jar prepared duck sauce
- Heat 1-1/2 inches of oil in a heavy deep skillet over medium high heat to 350 degrees (175 C.) F.
- Lightly coat shrimp with 1/4 cup (60 ml) baking mix.
- Combine 1 cup (225 ml) baking mix, beer, salt and egg in a bowl.
- Beat with a hand beater until batter is smooth and thin.
- If batter is too thick, stir in additional beer, 1 tbsp (15 ml) at a time, until of desired consistency.
- Dip shrimp into batter, letting excess drip into bowl.
- Roll shrimp in coconut.
- Place shrimp in hot oil and fry about 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Serve hot with duck sauce.