- From a book of Chuck's dated 1955
Serves/Makes:About 3 quarts
- 3 quarts (2850 ml) medium size cucumbers, sliced
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) pickling salt
- water to cover vegetables
- 2 cups (475 ml) white vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) sugar
- 2 tbs (30 ml) mustard seed
- 1 tsp (5 ml) each celery seed abd turmeric
- Combine the vegetables and mix with the salt.
- Let stand 3 hours and then drain.
- Combine vinegar and remaing ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add vegetables and heat to simmering.
- Avoid boiling the vegetables, for this makes them soft.
- Pack while hot into sterilized jars and seal.
- This is from a book titled "Pickles and Preserves by Marion Brown Published 1955.
Ihave older books if this is not old enough. Some date back to the 1800s.