- this is not hush puppies but kernels of corn can be used
- Essence of Emeril cookbook
Serves/Makes:makes 8 inch round loaf
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) corn kernels, scrapped fresh from cob
- 1 cup (225 ml) flour
- 1 cup (225 ml) cornmeal
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (225 ml) milk
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (225 C.) F.
- In a small saute pan heat 1 tsp (5 ml) butter, add corn kernels and cook for 2 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, combine eggs, milk, oil, and corn kernels.
- Add to flour mixture and stir until just smooth.
- In an 8-inch cast iron skillet, melt remaining butter over medium heat.
- When butter begins to foam, pour in batter and place pan in oven.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes untilskewer inserted in center comes out clean.
- Yield: 8-inch round loaf
- I know you asked for hush puppy recipe, but thought this might be of some help also.
I am in process of moving into new home and have packed up most of my recipe books but
will get the one out that I use quite frequently and will type it in for you. I also have
one for Mexican cornbread that uses corn and it is quite good. My husbands favorite, so hang
in there and I will have it for you in a few days. Enjoy this one! It is good.