- this recipe is from World War 2 wives
- The News and Observer in Raleigh, NC
Serves/Makes:makes 1 cake
- 1 cup (225 ml) raisins or chopped dates
- 1 cup (225 ml) brown sugar
- 1 cup (225 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) light margarine
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cloves
- 2 cups (475 ml) sifted flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped nuts
- Combine raisins, sugar, water, margarine, cinnamon,nutmeg and cloves.
- Heat to a boil and simmer 2 minutes.
- Cool for 1 hour.
- Resift flour with soda and salt and stir into cooled raisin or date mixture with nuts.
- Turn into a greased 9 inch tube pan or square pan.
- Bake at 300 degrees (150 C.) for 50 to 60 minutes until cake tests done.
- Cool in pan.
- I have not personally made this cake but have talked to others that have made it and they say it is good. I have just not gotten around to baking it. Enjoy!!