Over the Rainbow Macaroni and Cheese
- This is the recipe that Patti La Belle gave on the Oprah show.
- the piano fairy
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). vegetable oil
- 1 lb (.5 kg). elbow macaroni
- 9 tbsp (125 ml). butter, divided use
- 2 oz (56 grm). shredded muenster cheese
- 2 oz (56 grm). shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 2 oz (56 grm). shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 oz (56 grm). shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups (475 ml) half & half
- 8 oz (224 grm). Velveeta, cut into small cubes
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). seasoned salt
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml). freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Lightly butter a deep 2-1/2 quarts (2375 ml) casserole.
- Cook macaroni in salted water with oil for about 7 minutes, do not overcook.
- Drain well.
- Return to the cooking pot.
- Melt 8 Tbsp (125 ml). of the butter.
- Stir into the macaroni.
- In a large bowl, mix all the cheeses.
- To the macaroni, add the half & half, 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) of the shredded cheeses, the cubed Velveeta, and eggs.
- Season with the salt and pepper.
- Transfer to the buttered casserole.
- Sprinkle witht the remaining 1/2 cup (125 ml) shredded cheese and dot with the remaining 1 Tbsp (15 ml). butter.
- Bake until bubbling around the edges, about 35 minutes.
- Serve it hot.
- I changed the cheese to a combination package to save money.
I substitute the cheeses in the following:
8 oz. pkg. (1 cup) combination of cheddar, Jack and processed American
4 oz. shredded sharp cheddar
4 oz. shredded Muenster
The original can be found on the Oprah website and also the ABC Shows website under "Recipes".
My family voted this a truly wonderful recipe.
If you have a heart condition, I would not recommend eating it very often!