Penne with Tomato Vodka Sauce
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml). olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 6 ounces sliced prosciutto or Canadian bacon
- 3 green onions, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) vodka
- 1 29 oz (812 grm). can crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) heavy cream
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 lb (.5 kg). penne pasta or any heavier tube-type
- Heat oil in medium-size saucepan over low heat.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes, making sure garlic doesn't burn.
- Add prosciutto, green onion, cayenne pepper and vodka; cook for 4 minutes over medium heat.
- Add tomatoes; cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Add cream and salt; cook 3 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook penne in a large pot of lightly salted water until al dente, firm but tender. Drain well.
- Toss sauce and pasta to coat evenly.
- We really enjoyed this. Tried it one time with condensed milk instead of
the heavy cream. Don't--it really needs the cream to get the right
consistancy in the sauce. I was trying to cut the fat calories. If
you like it plan to cut the calories somewhere else.