Jan's Rocky Mountain Cheese Pear Pie
- A family favorite 2-crust pear pie using fresh pears.
- Jan Peiffer
Serves/Makes:1 9 or 10" pie (10" preferred)
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) sugar
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) flour
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) ground almonds
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tsp (10 ml) water
- 2 tsp (10 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) almond extract
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- 7-8 pears, pealed and sliced
- Make dough for 2-crust pie.
- Line pan with half and reserve other half for top.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (200 C.).
- Line 10" pie plate with half of dough.
- Mix sugar, flour, nutmeg, salt, almonds and cheese together in large bowl.
- Mix water, lemon juice and almond extract in small bowl and pour over pears.
- Then toss pears in sugar and flour mixture above.
- Arrange in pie plate.
- Dot with butter.
- Top with crust rolled from reserved half of dough--make slits in top.
- Sprinkle top with granulated sugar.
- Bake at 375 degrees (200 C.) for 50-60 minutes or until pears are tender and crust is lightly browned.
- The reason this recipe came into being is because I inherited--by accident--a bag of fresh pears and didn't know how to utilize them before they spoiled.
NOTE: This recipe works well at higher altitudes--I live at 6500 feet.