- A semi-transparent dressing (without mayo) great on all kinds of fruit.
- Cookbook of restaurant recipes.
Serves/Makes:1-1/2 to 2 cups
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) dry mustard
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) cider vinegar
- 2 or 3 tbsp (45 ml) coarsely chopped onion (or to taste)
- 2 tsp (10 ml) salt
- 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) canola oil (or other bland oil of preference)
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) poppyseeds
- red food coloring (optional)
- In blender place sugar, mustard, salt, vinegar and onion--blend well.
- While blender is running add oil in a steady stream.
- Blend until thick.
- Add poppyseeds and mix well.
- Optional: 1-2 drops red food coloring stirred in gives the dressing an appetizing look.
- Store in refrigerator, well covered.
- I first experienced this great dressing at Neiman Marcus in St. Louis and fell in love with it. Years later I was fortunate enough to run across it in a book of restaurant recipes. Everyone I've served this to has just raved about it and requested a copy of the recipe. Enjoy!
Also, for a more dessert-like slant, you can add a little cream at serving time.