- 1 lb (.5 kg). lamb shanks
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) pearl barley
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml). salt
- 3 springs parsley, snipped
- 2 whole cloves (I don't like cloves so use garlic cloves)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped onion
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) diced carrot
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped celery
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped turnip
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven, combine lamb shanks, barley, salt, parsley, cloves, bay leaf, and 5 cups (1175 ml) water.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, till meat is tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove shanks from soup.
- Remove meat from bones; discard bones.
- Cut meeat into pieces; return to soup.
- Add vegetables; cook till tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and cloves.
- Serves 4-6.
- The recipe is traditional, but since I don't like cloves, I use garlic instead. Also, the lamb shanks can be browned before combining with the barley, water, etc. The recipe comes from the Better Homes and Gardens Heritage Cook Book.