- A red tomato salsa with various types of peppers
- Prickly Pear
- 1 head garlic
- 1/2 small can diced jalapeno peppers
- 2 or 3 sweet green bell peppers
- 3 large onions
- 5 ribs of celery
- 5 pounds tomatoes
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) cider vinegar
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tsp (10 ml) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar (or to taste)
- 1 (4-ounce) can mild green chiles
- 1 or 2 tbsp (30 ml) cornstarch dissolved in a little cold water (to thicken salsa enough to cling to chip)--OPTIONAL
- Coarsely chop all vegetables as needed.
- Place in large pot with rest of ingredients--except cornstarch mixture. Bring to a boil and cook for about 30 minutes. Stir often.
- Add cornstarch mixture, if desired.
- Cook a few minutes more until sauce has thickened slightly.
- Pack in hot jars.
- Process for 45 minutes in jars in hot water bath.
- This has become an outstanding favorite among family and friends. In fact, most of them refuse to eat anything else. We've been consuming this recipe for over 13 years.