- Denai Larkin
- 12 large mushrooms, 1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) butter or margarine
- 1 tsp (5 ml). dried basil leaves
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) whipping cream
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Parmesan cheese, grated
- cherry tomatoes and parsley garnish
- Remove stems from mushrooms and chop into 1/4 inch pieces. Set aside.
- Heat butter in heavy skillet.
- Add mushroom caps and saute quickly over high heat, about 30 seconds on each side untill just browned (do not let mushrooms get over cooked).
- Transfer mushrooms to heat proof serving tray with bottom sides up.
- Add mushroom stems to skillet and saute over high heat about 2 minutes.
- Add basil, salt and cream.
- Heat to boiling and cook until cream is reduced by half and slighlty thickend.
- Stir in parmesan cheese.
- Spoon creamy mixture into mushroom caps, dividing evenly and mounding the filling slightly (can be prepared ahead at this point)
- Place stuffed mushrooms under preheated broiler about 6 inches from heat.
- Broil untill heated through and lightly browned.
- Transfer to serving platter.
- Garnish with cherry tomatoes and parsley sprigs.