- Mac & Cheese with crumbs on top
Serves/Makes:serves 4 to 6
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped yellow onion
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) butter
- 2 tsp (10 ml) mustard
- 1 lb (.5 kg) Wisconsin Cold Pack Cheddar cheese(or other sharp Cheddar cheese) shredded
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg) elbow macaroni or other small pasta shape, cooked according to the package directions
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) broccoli florets, boiled 3 minutes, drained, and coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) crushed saltine crackers
- Saute the onions in 2 tbsp (30 ml) of the butter in a large heavy saucepan over moderate heat until soft but not brown.
- Add the mustard, cheese, milk, salt, and pepper, and stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Stir in the cooked macaroni and pour half of the mixture into a buttered 3 quarts (2850 ml) (3 L) baking dish.
- Arrange the broccoli on top, and cover with the remaining macaroni mixture.
- Melt the remaining butter in a small saucepan and mix with the cracker crumbs.
- Sprinkle the cracker crumbs on top of the macaroni and cheese and bake in a preheated 375 degree (200 C.) F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until it is bubbling and brown.
- I got this recipe from the www recipe web site.