- Easy to make, fresh taste from canned ingredients
- Eric Hanson
- 2 (28 oz) cans chopped tomatoes
- 4 oz (112 grm). tomato juice reserved from cans
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, stemmed, chopped fine
- 1 can (7 oz) diced green chiles
- 1 small, peeled red onion, chopped fine
- 3-7 whole, peeled garlic cloves (to taste)
- 3-7 pickled whole jalapeno peppers (to taste)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) salt
- After reserving the juice, drain the tomatoes in a colander.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the tomatoes, cilantro, chiles and onion. Stir well.
- In a blender, combine the reserved tomato juice, garlic, peppers, and salt.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add to the tomato mixture and stir well.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until well chilled.
- I make it with the full complement of garlic and jalapenos, it's not really overly hot...but you might want to start at the low end. I think the salt helps a lot but low sodium users will enjoy it without salt.