Sweet Buttermilk Cornbread
- 2 cups (475 ml) corn meal
- 2 cups (475 ml) flour
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) white sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) + 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- 1 stick melted margarine
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups (475 ml) buttermilk (at room temperature)
- 4oz. can chopped chillies, drained (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (200 C.).
- Place all ingredients together in large bowl.
- Mix by hand.
- Spray 9x13x2 inch pan with Pam.
- Pour batter in pan, spread to corners.
- Bake for 30 to 35 min. or until done.
- Good to make with chili beans. You could ad 1/4 cup bacon fat for flavoring. Be sure you use fresh baking powder, not powder thats been on the shelf for a year.