Perfect Macaroni And Cheese
- Forget those boxed mixes. This is easy and tastes better!
- Eric Hanson
- 12 oz (336 grm) dry macaroni
- 2 T butter
- 2 T flour (best to use easy-mix for sauces and gravies)
- 1 2 cup (475 ml) milk (2 % or skim works fine)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (225 ml) grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 t garlic powder
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 t pepper
- Cook macaroni according to package instructions.
- While macaroni cooks, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- When butter is melted, add flour and whisk (or stir with a fork) until blended and bubbly.
- Gradually add milk and stir constantly until sauce thickens.
- Stir in Romano/Parmesan until well blended.
- Stir in Cheddar until well blended.
- Add more milk if too thick.
- Add garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Continue stirring until ready to serve.
- Drain macaroni and combine with cheese sauce.
- Serve with garlic bread and a salad.
- This is a great dish to whip up at the last minute when it doesn't look like there's anything to eat in the house! :) It's much more flavorful than anything that comes out of a box.