Superb Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Perfect sweet and sour sauce made in a snap
- John Driscoll
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sweet vinegar (*)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) catsup
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sherry or white wine
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) corn starch
- 1 cup (225 ml) chicken broth (or water)
- few drops of red food coloring (this gives it the traditional red-orange color)
- * sweet vinegar is made from equal portions of sugar and white vinegar heated until sugar disolves
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Cook over medium heat until sauce is clear and thickened.
- This is an all purpose sweet and sour sauce. I usually cut up pork tenderloin or chicken into bite sized pieces. Dip in egg thinned with a few drops of milk and then roll in cornstarch. Meat/poultry pieces are then deep fried, drained and stirred into the sweet and sour sauce. You can add vegetable s of your choice for a great Chinese dish.
The sweet vinegar used in this recipe can be safely stored the refridgerator for future batches of sauce.