- Easy pumpkin preserve
- John Driscoll
- 3 lbs (1.4 kg) pumpkin
- 4 cups (950 ml) water
- 2 oranges sliced into thin semicircles
- 3 lemons sliced into thin semicircles
- 3 inch piece fresh ginger (finely shredded)
- 4 cups (950 ml) granulated sugar
- Peel pumpkin and remove all seeds and fibers.
- Slice flesh into pieces and coarsely grate so the strands are as long as possible.
- Place grated pumpkin in noncorrosive pan with water, oranges, lemons and ginger.
- Bring to boil, then simmer for 25-30 minutes. (orange peel should be just soft)
- Add the sugar and stir until disolved.
- Return to boil and cook over medium heat for 25-30 minutes until thick. (wooden spoon should leave a clear channel when drawn through)
- Ladle the marmalade into hot steriliized jars and seal.
- Can be eaten immediately but improves with age.
- Although this was made with the traditional yellow Halloween variety of pumpkin, there are other varieties available in the autumn that would work beautifully.