Uncle Billy's Brunswick Stew
- North Carolina family recipe
- John Driscoll
- 2 fryer chickens (or 2 pkgs chicken breasts)
- 2 cups (475 ml) butterbeans
- 2 large onions sliced
- 2 lbs (.9 kg) canned tomatoes
- 1 cab (6 0z) tomato paste
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 2 med cans whole kernal corn
- 2 stalks celery finely sliced
- 4 carrots sliced
- fresh okara and peas may also be included if available
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Simmer chicken in 2 qts water until tender.
- Retain broth and shread chicken.
- Add remaining ingredients to broth with chicken and simmer until vegetables are cooked.
- Season to taste.
- This is a classic family recipe, usually prepared at the height of butterbean season in the South. Often made in large quantities and shared. Can be frozen; reheats beautifully.