Olgietta's Plantanos (Fried Plantains)
- 1 ripe plantain, with a yellow and black skin
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) oil
- Peel plantain and cut into 1/2 inch thick diagonal slices.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat and fry plantains for several minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Drain briefly on paper towels.
- Serve with fried black bean paste and tortillas.
- Plantains are a staple of Central America/Nicaragua and would make an interesting "show and tell" for your school project. They look like bananas but have an entirely different taste, much like a potato. I frequently see them in our local supermarkets. Good luck!