Classic German Potato Salad
- Nick Sundburg
- 4 medium red potatoes, cooked and sliced
- 6 strips bacon
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) celery, diced
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) onion, diced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) white vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook potatoes until just beginning to soften.
- Drain and allow to cool slightly.
- Slice into 1/4-inch pieces; set aside.
- Dice the bacon.
- Add to a large skillet and cook until brown.
- Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve.
- Add the onion and celery and cook until just soft.
- Whisk in the sugar and the vinegar.
- Return the bacon, toss in the cooked potatoes, and season.
- Serve warm.
- Serve this salad warm as a side dish with sausages.