New England Boiled Dinner
- Hearty combination of corned beef and vegetables
- c/o Nick Sundberg
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). corned beef brisket, raw
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 quart (950 ml) water
- 1 small cabbage, quartered
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 medium potatoes, cut into one-inch pieces
- 2 cups (475 ml) root vegetables (carrots, parsnips, turnips and/or rutabagas)
- 1 quart (950 ml) chicken broth
- Place the beef in a large Dutch oven.
- Add the water and garlic.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until tender (about 2 1/2-3 hours).
- Remove the beef and allow to cool slightly.
- Slice across the grain about 1/4-inch thick.
- Serve over the vegetables.
- Bring the broth to a boil in a medium sauce pan.
- Add the vegetables, cover, and reduce the heat.
- Simmer until tender, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Serve with horseradish sauce (1 Tablespoon prepared horseradish, 1 Tablespoon mayonnaise and 1/2 cup sour cream).