- An Apple Delight
- Michael McClellan
- 6 Large baking apples, peeled and cored
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) cinnamon, divided
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) ground nutmeg, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter or margarine, divided
- 3-1/2 tbsp (50 ml) cranberries, divided
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup (175 ml) apple juice
- red food coloring (optional)
- Place apples in a shallow 2-quart cassrole dish.
- Pour 1 tbsp (15 ml) juice into cavity of each apple.
- Add about 1/2 tbsp (7 ml) cranberries to each apple.
- Sprinkle each with 1/4 tsp (1 ml) cinnamon and 1/4 tsp (1 ml) of nutmeg.
- Top with 1 tsp (5 ml) butter.
- Heat remaining apple juice to boiling.
- Add red food coloring if desired.
- Pour juice into casserole dish.
- Bake apples, uncovered at 400 degrees (200 C.) for 50 or 60 min. or until tender.
- Baste occasionally with juice
- This makes a great Thanksgiving or Christmas dish!!!!!!!!!!!!!