Binks' Holiday Dinner Rolls
- Best dinner rolls you'll ever eat!
- Jack Smelt
- 1 cup (225 ml) milk
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) shortening
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) warm water
- 2 pkg yeast
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 5-1/4 cups (1250 ml) flour (approx)
- Scald milk; stir in sugar, salt and shortening.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Measure warm water into large warm bowl.
- Sprinkle or crumble in yeast and stir until dissoloved.
- Add lukewarm milk mixture, eggs, and 2 cups (475 ml) of flour.
- Beat until smooth.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough.
- Turn out onto lightly floured board; let dough rest a couple of minutes.
- Knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 -10 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in warm place, free from draft , until doubled in bulk, about 30 minutes.
- Punch down.
- Turn out on lightly floured board, cover with bowl (slightly tilted to air) and rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll out and cut into desire shapes.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until double in bulk.
- Bake at 400 degrees (200 C.) for about 12 minutes.
- This is a old Southern family recipie that's always a favorite at Thanksgiving and Chirstmas. Can't be beat!