Serves/Makes:6 to 8
- 1 or 2 large rutabagas or 8 to 10 turnips
- brown sugar, start with 3 tbsp
- butter, cut into slices
- milk to desired consistency
- Peel and cut up rutabags or turnips, put into a large saucepan, with water half full.
- Turn heat till high to get to boiling, then turn down heat to low and simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour, or until tender.
- Strain, put into the same saucepan, and mash with a masher or a mixer.
- 1/4 Add pound butter, and some milk, mash together more.
- Put in some brown sugar, start with about 3 tbsp (45 ml) and add more to taste. (The more brown sugar you add the more sweeter it is, turnips are sour to begin with so you need to add and taste as you go.)
- Serve warm with turkey or ham goes best with that.