- Easy candied topping for yams or sweet potato
- Stan Myers
- 40 oz (1120 grm). can of Sugary Sam Cut Yams, drained
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) coconut
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) flour
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) butter, melted
- Heat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Place yams in ungreased 2 quarts (1900 ml) casserole or glass baking dish.
- In a small bowl combine remaining ingredients, blend well with a fork.
- Sprinkle over the yams.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 35 to 40 minutes or untill bubbly.
- This recipe was on the lable of a can of Sugary Sam Yams, but it is now a bookmark in my Joy of Cooking cookbook and a family tradition.
It is easy to double or triple and even easier to make. Holds up well as a leftover.
Other ingredient options:
Use sweet potatos instead of yams.
Any rich nut, like walnuts, will work in a pinch if you don't have pecans.
When desert is offered, many diners prefer a third helping of these yams.