Cranberry Upside-Down Cake
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) all purpose flour
- 2 oz (56 grm) sweet butter
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) light brown sugar
- 24 oz (672 grm) fresh cranberries
- 4 oz (112 grm) sweet butter
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- 2 egg whites
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- In a 9" round cake pan or springfrom pan, melt 2 oz (56 grm) of butter with the brown sugar over low heat, stirring constantly until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Pour the cranberries onto the brown sugar and butter mixture.
- Set aside.
- In a bowl or mixer, cream the 4 oz (112 grm) of butter with the granulated sugar until smooth.
- Stir in the yolks and vanilla.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Alternatley mix in the milk and the dry ingredients; stir only until mixed.
- Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks, then fold into the cake mixture.
- Pour cake mixture over cranberries.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 50 to 60 mintues or until the cake is done.