- 4 tbsp (60 ml) butter
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) baking powder
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) salt
- dash of cayenne
- 2 cups (475 ml) shredded monterey jack cheese or cheddar cheese (about 8 oz)
- 1 cup (225 ml) small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 (4 oz) can diced chilis
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (200 C.).
- Melt butter in a 9 in square baking pan in oven.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs until well blended.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, salt, and cayenne,
- Tip the baking pan to coat bottom and sides: add melted butter to eggs.
- Add Monterey Jack cheese, cottage cheese, and chilis and blend well.
- Pour mixture into buttered pan and bake 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temp to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Bake another 30 to 35 minutes longer until top is lightly browned.
- Knife in center should show no evidence of uncooked egg.
- Let cool on a rack at least 10 min.
- Cut into 1 1/2 in squares.
- If made in advance, cover and refrigerate up to 2 days.
- Freeze for longer storage.
- Serve warm or at room temp.
- I always make this for buffets or when I am going to a party and have to bring an appetizer. It is easy and everyone loves it.