- Garlicy caesar with healthy celery in place of croutons
- Allen Miglore
Serves/Makes:4 (you'll want seconds)
- 1 head crisp romaine lettuce, washed, dried, torn
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) balsamic vinegar (or less)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) anchovy essence OR 1 tsp (5 ml) anchovy paste
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Worcestershire sauce (or more)
- 1/2 to 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 stalk celery, sliced (2 if small)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- Add garlic to a large salad bowl.
- Add olive oil and stir and let sit for a few minutes.
- Add vinegar, anchovy essence, Worcestershire, and lemon juice, and stir.
- You can let this sit while you prepare the rest of your meal.
- Just before serving, add lettuce and celery and toss
- Add parmesanand fresh ground pepper before a final toss.
- Serve immediately.
- If you don't care for anchovies leave them out and add a little salt to taste. If you can't find anchovy essence, then use 1 t. anchovy paste or minced anchovies.
If the lemon is very juicy you might want to only use 1/2.
This recipe is great with cooked chicken or shrimp added.