Grated chocolate mix-cake
- A good cake to serve with coffee or tea
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) self-rising flour
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 1 cup (225 ml) sour cream
- 7 oz (196 grm). butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 2 oz (56 grm). chocolate
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 370 degrees (200 C.).
- Cut butter into small portions and put in bowl.
- Add sugar and blend into a uniform paste.
- Add the eggs one at a time, blending after each.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Sift flour into a separate bowl.
- Add the flour and sour cream half at a time, alternating between the two, and blending after each.
- Add half of the grated chocolate into the mixture and blend.
- Oil a cake pan with butter, and pour in half the mixture.
- Cover the mixture with the remaining grated chocolate; then pour the remaining mixture on top.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes.
- To check if the cake is ready, insert a toothpick through the top of the cake; it should be dry when you remove it.
- This cake is really very easy - it takes 20-30 minutes to prepare, and another 35-45 minutes to bake; all in all, about an hour from start to finish.
Considering the simplicity of the cake, it is surprisingly fluffy and quite good.
The name is a rough translation of its basic description.
This recipe comes from my mother, and is one of my personal favorites.